ONC’s First Google+ Hangout on Health IT Challenges a Success
ONC and others discuss Interoperability, Health IT Challenges
Yesterday the Office of the National Coordinator hosted it’s first ever ONC Google + Hangout. Led by ONC Chief Scientist Doug Fridsma, MD, the hour long hangout brought ONC staffers, stakeholders and industry thought leaders together for a video chat conference for all the world to see.
I hung out for the entire hour, my first Google+ hangout experience. To ONC’s and the participants credit, the conference felt unscripted (in a good way) once past some opening slides. It made me feel like an “insider” which, I suppose, was the whole point.
The video chat participants included:
- Doug Fridsma, M.D., Ph.D. – Chief Scientist at ONC
- Arien Malec – VP Strategy and Product Marketing at RelayHealth, Former Coordinator for the Direct Project
- Deven McGraw – Director of the Health Privacy Project at CDT
- John Moehrke – Principal Engineer: Interoperability and Security at GE
- John Travis – Senior Director and Solution Strategist, Regulatory Compliance at Cerner
- Alice Leiter – Policy Counsel at Center for Democracy & Technology
- Vince Kuraitis – Principal, Better Health Technologies, LLC
- Brian Ahier – Health IT Evangelist
It was a terrific experience and one I hope the ONC will build a program on. The Google+ hangout format offers low barrier of participation – if you can get online to YouTube you’re good to go – and, more importantly, gave the viewers a chance to hear a thoughtful, interesting discussion on some of the most pressing issues in Health IT.
You can watch a recording of the event below or on the ONC’s YouTube hangout channel.