Health Datapalooza 2016 – Why You Can’t Miss It
Founded in 2010, the Health Datapalooza grew from our innovation efforts here, from a very simple belief—if federal government data were made available for innovators to use, new health applications, technology platforms, and services could be created. At the time, there was little data from federal agencies being made available for use. Today, more than 2,000 datasets from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) are fueling an engine of technology innovation. From the original meeting in March 2010, led by HHS Chief Technology Officer Todd Park, with 45 attendees to test this simple idea about the potential and power of open health data, the Health Datapalooza has grown 7 years later to 3 days of cutting edge innovation among 1800 attendees engaged in policy discussions, and networking among stakeholders and leaders from across industry.
The goal of the Health Datapalooza is to promote the growth of a vibrant health data ecosystem that promotes innovative solutions to the critical challenges that exist in health and health care.
Centerpiece of this year’s Health Datapalooza is value of data and direct impact on health #hdpalooza @hdconsortiumClick to tweet
The meetup brings fresh ideas and engaging leaders from all corners of government, business, health care, technology and policy, as well as patient and caregiver communities. Attendees will hear how data transparency fuels innovative applications and business models that are momentum builders on the new frontiers of healthcare. Health Datapalooza, which is produced by the non-profit organization, Academy Health, and supported by HHS, has the key thought leaders and subject matter expertise to change your perspective from the most engaging consumer applications to widely disruptive primary care business models to the latest news on privacy and security applications.
It’s a recognized, must-attend conference for its diverse audience-base, wide-ranging networking sessions, and new tech demonstration showcases all designed to give you the latest insights into health care innovation.
The 2016 Health Datapalooza: It’s All About Creating Value from the Data
Once again, Health Datapalooza 2016 brings a high energy level from national and international leaders in engaging discussions, and thought provoking opinions from the C-level of business and government. More than 35 mini-summit sessions await you to connect with motivating high levels of audience participation and idea-sharing.
The centerpiece theme of this year’s Health Datapalooza is the focus on the value of data and the direct impact it can have on health. Coupled with revolutionary changes in the health care economy, innovative data applications are in high demand to address high impact health care outcomes and lower cost. A few highlights of the fresh new content you can expect include:
- New Challenge Competitions like the Consumer’s Applications Shark Tank (we are still accepting applications!);
- Sessions on the sharing of cancer clinical care and research data;
- Three track sessions on international data sharing (including government leadership and entrepreneurs from United Kingdom, Israel, Canada, India, Australia, and France) focused on lowering global barriers to technology innovation in health care.
- Exciting announcements including winners of: the Open Data Science Prize competition, the Health Data Liberator Award, and other competitive data prizes challenging the public to leverage the data to create greater value.
- All-star lineup of speakers including: John Doerr (Venture Capitalist, Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers); Todd Park (Special Advisor to the President); Slyvia Burwell (HHS Secretary); Susannah Fox (CTO, HHS); Jeremy Stoppleman (CEO, Yelp); Deborah DiSanzo (Head of Watson Health, IBM); Andy Slavitt (Acting Administrator of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services); Karen DeSalvo (Acting Assistant Secretary for Health) and a host of other inspiring keynotes (as well as a few excellent surprises you won’t want to miss).
- And as a special bonus, HHS is hosting a full-day public cutting-edge discussion on privacy and cybersecurity issues with federal agency officials to help shape the tech sectors applications development. Learn more here.
By tradition, Health Datapalooza is a highly interactive session that enables participants and subject matter experts to have abundant opportunity for sharing ideas, developing partnerships, and providing government with new perspectives and ideas about the power of open health data. We believe that the 2016 Health Datapalooza will open the doors for intense debate on the cutting edge of data applications that pave the paths of innovation to tomorrow’s health care system.
We hope you will join us and we encourage anyone with new ideas and aspirations for problem solving to bring their ideas, engage in spirited discussion, and help change health care for the better, for all.
This article was originally published on HHS Idea Lab and is republished here with permission.