EHR Incentive Program Status Report May 2018
The numbers and facts you are about to see are all true…
As of 5/31/18
As of May 2018, more than 545,600 health care providers received payment for participating in the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs. In May 2013, CMS announced that more than half of all eligible health care providers had been paid under the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. In August of 2014, HHS reported more physicians and hospitals are using EHRs than before. In December of 2014, an ONC data brief released stated financial incentives and ability to exchange clinical information found to be top reasons for EHR adoption. And in April of 2016 the ONC released a comprehensive evaluation of the Regional Extension Center (REC) program which support their efforts have made a major impact on adoption of electronic medical records.
#EHR Incentive Programs @CMSGov reporting as of May 2018 545,600+ providers participating #meaningfuluseClick to tweet
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released the most recent numbers for the EHR Incentive programs. Here are some Program-to-date highlights from this latest CMS report – May.
- Active registrations of those completed totaled 642,482 breaking down with 400,011 Medicare EPs, 237,528 Medicaid EPs, and 4,943 hospitals.
- 50 States and 5 territories have open Medicaid registration. For links to states’ Medicaid EHR Incentive Program websites, see your State EHR Incentive Program Milestones and Web Resources guide.
- A total of 545,602 unique providers have been paid with breakdown of 311,966 Medicare EPs, 212,581 Medicaid EPs, 5,006 eligible hospitals, and 16,049 Medicare Advantage Organizations for EPs.
- 196,200 EPs have received a HPSA bonus payment for program years 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- 4,076 hospitals have received payments under both Medicare and Medicaid (of those, 1,022 were CAHs).
- A total of $38,220,758,479 has been paid out in the program to date. Tweet This
- Medicare EPs have been paid $9,638,969,232 with the majority of those, Doctors of Medicine or Osteopathy receiving $8,694,711,252.
- Medicaid EPs have been paid $6,358,342,954 with the majority of those, Physicians receiving $4,215,297,170.
- Eligible hospitals have been paid $21,748,427,507 with Medicare only $814,934,621, Medicaid only $521,890,401, and Medicare/Medicaid $20,411,602,484.
- Medicare Advantage Organizations For Eligible Professionals have been paid $475,018,787.
- Medicaid EHR Incentive payments began in January 2011 and Medicare EHR Incentive payments began in May 2011.
Visit the Data and Program Reports page on the CMS web site for the most up to date numbers on the EHR Incentive programs. For charting and analysis of this information, check out the Meaningful Use dataset on the HealthIT.gov Dashboard.