5 Factors To Be Considered For Successful EHR Implementation
It has been observed that USA is encouraging the adoption of EHR system on a huge scale. Despite the adoption at larger scale, it seems like healthcare industry is not utilizing EHR system to its fullest. As a consequence, there is the big requirement to enhance EHR implementation across healthcare services.
As per American Medical Association (AMA), physicians allocated 49.2% of their working daytime on deskwork and EHR.
Physicians are facing difficulty in implementing this system which is wondered to have caused more exhaustion as compared to giving actual medical care. On the contrary, patients are still not getting better quality care at reduced costs as expected from this technology.
Health IT visionaries should come up with a new method for EHR system design and progress to enhance EHR usability by patients and providers similarly.
Here are 5 factors that must be taken into account to guarantee effective EHR implementation and attain its intended benefits:
1. Concentrate More on Insightful Data
It is projected that less than 25% of the data collected in EHR systems is beneficial in measuring healthcare results.
To enhance the above-mentioned percentage, it is important that a correct data framework is applied to show higher accuracy and maximum relevancy.
Advanced analytics is a field in which EHR can assist to ease healthcare enhancement and produce actionable insights. For example, the following points can be run on EHR data to attain significant explanations:
- Patient flow data to enhance output
- Root cause examination data for interconnectivity matters
- Patient results data with respect to the quantity of money allocated
- Demographic examination of data
- Custom reports production created on key metrics
One more set of data that is vital to quality healthcare is medical alarms. These alarms assist in driving crucial care communication in the following situations:
- Generating reaction red alert established on drug amalgamations recommended to an individual;
- Wasted programmed vaccination alerts etc.
2. Channelize Development Struggles Competently
Medical technology solutions must adapt the supervisory steps and processes that are important to guarantee patient privacy.
Technologists should guarantee that PHI (Protected Health Information) rigorously sticks to HIPAA amenability guidelines. HIPAA safeguards patient data security and privacy to protect diffusion of data via the digital channel. Hence, it is compulsory to follow the latest HIPAA agreement rules with regular risk valuation checks for an effective EHR implementation.
Additionally, CIOs must maneuver the subsequent policies in healthcare development that endorse significant use adoption.
3. Lay the Fundamentals of An Interoperable Technology
Health IT innovators must spend money to transfer from inherit systems and modernize safe, mobile-friendly, cross-platform and simply reachable technology solutions.
Interoperability endorses mobile healthcare. Nevertheless, its acceptance so far has been insufficient maybe due to the innate interests of vendors and businesses in this industry.
Interoperability authorizes healthcare in numerous methods including:
- Refining care organization
- Improved decision support and clinical diagnosis
- Refining health care quality
Interoperability can be effectively applied to EHR systems in the following manners:
- Surviving by a recognized clinical data structure for info exchange at the claim layer as lay down by the HL-7 standards.
- Retrieving data via secure APIs through different organizations.
- Supporting testing and experimentation across mobile technologies and the trending technologies of today encompassing AI, wearable-tech, cloud, and IoT.
4. Deliver Customizations
A preventive functionality does not permit the user to discover further prospects. A refurbished EHR system must be customizable by the user for informal use.
It can be supple to:
- Produce custom reports for a particular month, day, year etc.
- Deliver shortcuts to the most utilized operations.
- Upkeep numerous measurement units for data entrance.
- Propose advanced commentary engine to IT savvy executives for analysis and research, if possible to ease correct health results.
5. Produce A Responsive Mobile Platform
The amplified practice of EHR apps over mobile platforms is an extremely predictable trend in the upcoming time period of healthcare IT.
Therefore, native components or responsive designs are must have today. An SOA grounded architecture that develops quickness, reusability and comprehensiveness of an EHR should be accepted at the earliest.
As more than seventy percent of physicians install mobile apps on their smartphones, implementing EHR will augment the productivity in the ways mentioned below:
- Giving the up-to-date management functions, latest appointment bookings etc.
- Rationalization medical procedures because of informal access to patient data 24*7 for both patients and providers.
- Endorsing point-of-care method as utmost of the medical care occurs at the bedside.