Using EHRs for Health Information Exchange and Interoperability
EHR Use in Health Information Exchange
The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) is an agency operating under Health and Human Services (HHS) with a primary goal of improving access to health care services for the uninsured, isolated, or medically vulnerable. HRSA provides leadership and financial support to providers in every U.S. state and territory. As part of this goal, the agency hosts educational webinars for providers on a regular basis, many of which address health IT initiatives and challenges.
HRSA next webinar will address the use of EHRs for health information exchange.
Event: Using an Electronic Health Record for Health Information Exchange and Interoperability for Safety Net Providers
Date: Friday, April 26, 2013,2:00 PM EDT
This webinar will focus on how safety net providers can electronically exchange health information and achieve interoperability using electronic health records (EHRs). Exchanging electronic health information with other providers is a requirement under Stage 2 of Meaningful Use and has been shown to reduce costs and duplication of services, increase patient engagement, enhance patient safety, and improve healthcare quality. Presenters for this webinar will focus on the following topics:
- How providers can meet the health information exchange (HIE) objectives of Meaningful Use;
- How providers can access and utilize State and local HIE networks; and
- How providers can overcome barriers to achieve HIE and interoperability
- Katherine Koch, Health IT Specialist, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Anuj Desai, Vice President of Market Development, New York eHealth Collaborative
- Rachael Williams, Health IT Specialist, North Carolina Dept. of Health and Human Services, Division of Medical Assistance
- Chris Scarboro, Project Manager HIE and Strategic Development, North Carolina Community Care Network
The ONC has available several valuable resources on HIE and interoperability. These include:
- ONC HIE Resource website, which provides a variety of comprehensive resources about HIE and how it relates to Meaningful Use.
- ONC HIE Interoperability Training Modules, online training modules that help explain to providers and staff the process of meeting the Stage 2 Meaningful Use data exchange
Questions for presenters are welcome ahead of the event and may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.