The Patient Experience Through Health IT at HIMSS 13
HIMSS Conference – Health IT at the Right Time, Right Place
We are now less than six weeks away to the start of the HIMSS Annual Conference & Exhibition in New Orleans, March 3 – 7. You can visit the HIMSS conference website or download a brochure. For readers following our updates on this year’s HIMSS conference here’s what is new this week.
The Patient Experience through HIT Forum – Tuesday, March 5
This day-long forum asks “Is e-engaging with your patients worth the effort?” Clearly the answer to this question is yes! This new HIMSS forum is meant to tell us not just why patient engagement is worth it but give us a how-to as well.
- 9:45 a.m. Making Patients Your Partners in Satisfying Meaningful Use Stage 2 Objectives: Case Studies in Patient Engagement
- 1:00 p.m. The Business Case for Implementing a Patient-Centered Communication Strategy
- 2:15 p.m. Building Patient 2.0: Engaging People in Health Through Consumer-Facing Devices and Tools
According to the HIMSS conference site, forum attendees will:
- Discover how to use HIT to meet the Meaningful Use Stage 2 patient engagement criteria
- Recognize the provider value proposition for using HIT to engage patients in their healthcare through actual case studies
- Explore new innovative products and services that will be used by providers to engage patients in the future
Career Services Institute – Tuesday, March 5
Also new this year is the HIMSS Career Services Institute (CSI). The Institute is open to all HIMSS conference attendees. The day long event is an “opportunity for attendees to network” and will “focus on supporting the various pieces that go into a health IT career.” The program is not just for entry-level, any professional currently in the health IT industry or looking to get into the industry can get some career guidance and perhaps even find a job.
HIMSS 13 Online
Once again HIMSS is offering web programming for those unable to attend. This year’s line up offers a live simulcast of President Bill Clinton’s keynote addresss. Other live and on-demand offerings includes:
- 10 live simulcast education sessions
- 9 on-demand education sessions
- 12 e-sessions
- Interviews with top speakers
- Moderated live chats
Check out the full line up of HIMSS 13 Online here.
Exhibit Hall – Opens Monday, March 4 at 1:00 pm
Like years past expect to walk many a mile exploring the HIMSS Exhibitor Hall. Check out the latest map so you can begin to get your bearings. For those of you who are directionally challenged like me, be prepared to walk even further.
Finally, at last year’s HIMSS conference ONC’s Farzad Mostashari and others announced the arrival of the NPRM for Stage 2 Meaningful Use. The rule of course was finalized and published in early September. We will hear from Dr. Mostashari and the ONC again this year, leading sessions on meaningful use, safety, patient engagement and, of course, the ONC Town Hall. This year’s Town Hall meeting will be held on March 4 from 12:15 p.m.–1:15 p.m.