Health Information Exchange
For the most up to date information on health information exchange visit our HIEAnswers.net site.
- ONC – State Health Information Exchange Program web site
- ONC State Contacts – State Coop Programs Key Contacts
- HITECH Grant Program for State Health Information Exchange Cooperative Agreement Program.
- eHealth Initiative – Partnership for Connecting Communities for Better Health Program
- Directory of Health Information Exchange Initiatives
- HIMSS State HIT Dashboard
- HIMSS State Advisory Roundtable Report: States Will Transform Healthcare through Health IT and HIE Organizations, June 2012
Health Information Exchange (HIE)
The mobilization of healthcare information electronically across organizations within a region, community or hospital system.
Health Information Organization (HIO)
A organization that brings together health care stakeholders within a defined geographic area and governs health information exchange (HIE) among them for the purpose of improving health and care in that community.
Regional Health Information Organization (RHIO)
A regional health information organization (HIO).
Health Information Service Provider (HISP)
A private, HIPAA secure, and safe health care information exchange service for health care providers, hospitals, and labs to connect to the NwHIN.
Nationwide Health Information Network (NwHIN)
A network being developed to provide a secure, nationwide, interoperable health information infrastructure that will connect providers, consumers, and others involved in supporting health and healthcare.