CMS EHR Incentive Program for Eligible Professionals, Eligible Hospitals and CAHs
Under the HITECH Act of 2009, the EHR Incentive Program provides incentive payments to Eligible Professionals, Eligible Hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals to adopt, implement, upgrade and demonstrate the meaningful use of certified EHR technology.
Eligible professionals (EPs) and Eligible Hospitals (EHs) can receive financial support for EHR adoption from the CMS Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. EPs can qualify for incentive payments up to $44,000 through the Medicare Incentive Program, or 63,750 through the Medicaid Incentive Program. Eligible hospitals and CAHs can qualify for EHR incentive payments totaling some $2 million or more. Explore the resources below to learn more.
|Eligible Professionals||Eligible Hospitals|
|Eligible Professionals Registration and Attestation||Hospitals Registration and Attestation|
|HIPAA and Security Compliance||Critical Access Hospitals|
|Standards||Health Information Exchange|
EHR Incentive Program Timeline
- February 2009: President Obama signs the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA/HITECH) into law.
- March 2010: ONC releases Certification Program Proposed Rule
- June 2010: Temporary Certification Final Rule published in Federal Register
- July 2010: CMS and ONC Final Rules published in Federal Register
- August 2010: First two ONC-ATCBs named
- October 2010: Certified Electronic Health Record Technology available and listed on ONC web site
- January 1, 2011: Reporting year begins for eligible professionals
- January 3, 2011: ONC issued the Final Rule to establish the permanent certification program for health information technology.
- January 3, 2011: Registration for the EHR Incentive Programs begins
- January 2011: For Medicaid Providers, States begin to launch their programs, if they so choose to do so.
- April 2011: Attestation for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program begins
- May 2011: Medicare EHR Incentive Payments begin
- July 3, 2011 – Last day for eligible hospitals to begin their 90-day reporting period to demonstrate meaningful use for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program.
- September 30, 2011 – Last day of the federal fiscal year. Reporting year ends for eligible hospitals and CAHs.
- October 1, 2011: Last day for eligible professionals to begin their 90-day reporting period for calendar year 2011 for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program.
- November 30, 2011: Last day for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals to register and attest to receive an EHR Incentive Payment for Federal fiscal year (FY) 2011.
- December 31, 2011: Reporting year ends for eligible professionals.
- February 29, 2012: Last day for the EPs to register and attest to receive an EHR Incentive Payment for CY 2011
- March 7, 2012: ONC and CMS Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) for Stage 2 were published in the Federal Register with a 60-day public comment period.
- May 7, 2012: Public comment period ends for ONC and CMS NPRM.
- 2014 Last year to initiate participation in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program
- 2015: Medicare Payment Adjustments begin for EPs that are not meaningful users of Electronic Health Record Technology
- 2016: Last year to receive a Medicare EHR Incentive Payment, and also the last year to initiate participation in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
- 2021: Last year to receive Medicaid EHR Incentive Payment