EHR Incentive Program Status Report
Just the Facts from Joe Friday
The numbers and facts you are about to see are all true… As of 1/1/2013
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released the 2012 year end numbers for the EHR Incentive programs. Here are some Program-to-date highlights from the December Report.
- Active registrations of those completed totaled 355,068 breaking down with 240,695 Medicare EPs, 110,149 Medicaid EPs, and 4,224 hospitals. 176,049 active registrations were reported at the end of 2011.
- 49 of the 50 States have open Medicaid registrations. Hawaii has not begun their program but has stated it’s intention. Note from CMS: Just as state timelines for launching the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program vary, so do state timelines for other incentive program milestones, including when a state disburses its first incentive payment and when it starts collecting meaningful use attestations from eligible providers. For more information about when each state anticipates meeting specific incentive program milestones, as well links to states’ Medicaid EHR Incentive Program websites, please see our State EHR Incentive Program Milestones and Web Resources guide.
- A total of 190,107 unique providers have been paid with breakdown of 106,424 Medicare EPs, 69,041 Medicaid EPs, 3,525 eligible hospitals, and 11,117 Medicare Advantage Organizations for EPs.
- 9,216 EPs have received a HPSA bonus payment.
- 8,348 EPs have received a partial incentive payment based on their allowable charges for 2011.
- 1,612 hospitals have received payments under both Medicare and Medicaid (of those, 197 were CAHs).
- A total of $10,698,865,625 has been paid out in the program to date.
- Medicare EPs have been paid $1,843,200,125 with the majority of those, Doctors of Medicine or Osteopathy receiving $1,672,937,853.
- Medicaid EPs have been paid $1,493,767,128 with the majority of those, Physicians receiving $1,084,656,205.
- Eligible hospitals have been paid $7,172,461,886 with Medicare only $272,603,355, Medicaid only $186,346,384 , and Medicare/Medicaid $6,713,512,148.
- Medicaid EHR Incentive payments began in January 2011 and Medicare EHR Incentive payments began in May 2011.
Visit the Data and Program Reports page on the CMS web site for the most up to date numbers on the program. For charting and analysis of this information, check out the Meaningful Use dataset on the HealthIT.gov Dashboard.
Have a good weekend.